Game 1 of the NBA Finals will tip off in a couple hours, and not a moment too soon. In the absence of actual news, the internet spits out an endless stream of overanalysis, speculation, and outright blather. It was news today that Steph Curry uses Uber to get around town, apparently disappointing those hoping to see him float by on a magic carpet.
Which frankly, at this point, would not surprise me that much.
In the meantime, here are a few predictions about the series, none of them of any significance whatsoever.
- Kevin Love will wear a cup.
- The two teams will obliterate the previous Finals record for threes attempted and made. Both of them love to launch up long-distance shots, with the Cavs owning the current record for the most made in a game at 25. Klay Thompson just set the individual record with 11, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that record doesn’t survive the series. It wouldn’t surprise me if Steph hit 12 in a game, then Klay hit 13. Being a fan of this team has inflicted serious damage on my ability to be surprised.
- Draymond Green will get a technical foul in Game 1, bringing him right to the brink of a suspension. In subsequent games, anytime he starts to approach a referee, one of his teammates will kick him in the crotch. For the good of the team.
- LeBron will be unhappy with a call and stare down the ref with that “Don’t you know who I am?” look.
- If the Warriors lose, a gloating Charles Barkley will explain how it was inevitable. If they win, he will find some reason to undermine the legitimacy of their accomplishment. Because that’s how the Chuckles do.
And that’s probably enough for now…my battery is low and there are chores to do before gametime. How crazy is it that the W’s are in the Finals for the second straight year? It used to be a pipe dream that they would ever play games in June, and here we are. Indeed do many things come to pass.
I love them.